Welcome to Shattered RPG
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Peoplewatching (Open)

4 replies to this topic

Jimbles

Jimbles

Journeyman

• Archive Access
  • 54 posts

A young man sat at a park bench, flipping a coin and humming quietly to himself. Jesse Grace had lived quite an interesting life, he always figured that by now he'd be a rich man living in a manor surrounded by beautiful women. Unfortunately, his life had taken him to now- Sitting on a park bench, sipping a coffee and waiting for something terrible to happen.

Any time anyone tries to save anyone, ruin it. Bring bad luck on to any would be heroes.

He'd been there for an hour now, hoping for a building to light on fire or a hostage situation to go wrong. Truth be told he was bored, he'd hexed the whole area around him for an hour or so but all he really managed was to make people lose winning scratch cards or skateboarders get distracted at just the right time and fall in the lake(He was up to three of those now, it remained hilarious).

He finished off his coffee, throwing it into the nearby trashcan as it made a series of impossible bounces and landing inside the can "This is it, this is what life has become" He muttered under his breath "Fuck it, heads and I go get another coffee"

He flipped the coin a final time and, of course, it landed on heads.

Adept

• Archive Access
  • 100 posts

A woman watched the scene around her in the park with an unamused expression. She'd been having a pretty great day...And then, she'd went to the park. First, a skateboarder splashed a puddle all over her. Then, just when she'd managed to dry herself off, she slipped on a patch of mud. That wasn't going to come out of her suit very easily, and the fall even knocked her left arm out of alignment. Fortunately for her, a simple diagnostic showed there was no lasting damage and she realigned the part, but the maintenance to clean any stray mud out of the joint was going to be hell later. It wasn't until she looked up from the arm that she realized, she wasn't the only one having a bad day. The boarder that'd splashed her earlier had just dunked into a lake himself, and she saw more than a few scowls around.

All except for a single young man, idly flipping a coin at a park bench. While she could categorize the events to herself and the people around her as a statistical abnormality and be done with it, something was...Off, here. Technically, there is no material law stating that a string of improbably negative events occurring within a localized area should affect all individuals within that area equally, it nevertheless appeared strange that only one such individual appeard unaffected. The shot he made confirmed that theory-the bounces were exceedingly unlikely for the observed trajectory and velocity. But then came a paradox-the most likely explanation, short of elaborate coincidence, was also impossible by virtue of anti-Magic ordinances on Earth. Something was happening...Something very strange. And the woman decided, blue eyes flashing purple, that she didn't have much better to do than find out.

Jimbles

Jimbles

Journeyman

• Archive Access
  • 54 posts

The young man on the bench hadn't noticed that he had been spotted, seemingly just standing up and starting to walk towards the nearest overpriced coffee store. The bubble of hexing followed him, after his powers had been sealed Jesse had trouble with scaling the power of his hex- Really it was down to the whims of his powers how poorly the people around him would be affected. There were some that would just drop their phones as he passed, others that would suddenly get calls of eviction from their landlords.

As he walked, seemingly without a care in the world, he place a pair of earbuds in as he seemed to be listening to music. A few meters ahead of him, a woman lost her balance slightly- Losing her footing for just a second. As she did, her bag jostled and a few bills of cash fluttered to the floor without her noticing. Without missing a beat, Jesse picked up the bills and pocketed them. 

Lucky me He thought, chuckling a little I had just run out of cash

Adept

• Archive Access
  • 100 posts

Blue-violet eyes tracked the strange man as he got up and left the park, although the woman herself did not move to follow. It would not do to confront the anomaly like this-certainly, not as dishevled as she was with her catching arm and muddy suit. No, she would need to go home and maintain herself. Rather fortunate for her, then, that her apartment was so close by.

It wouldn't take very long at all to arrive in her spare shell while she set this one to self-recall.

As she opened her newer eyes, she grimaced slightly. Really, it was her own fault-she should have broken in the spare shell by now, tuned it properly. Defaults should still be fine enough for her needs for the day, however. But she'd need to be fast. She got her new shell dressed quickly enough, this time in a more casual outfit than the suit and tie she had been previously wearing, making her way out the door just in time to see the direction the man was headed from her old shell. And, with herself now in position to see him herself, she set the recall command. She supposed it was probably strange to see yourself walking home out the corner of your eye, but such dissociative occurrances never really bothered her. Besides which, she had a goal right now. She wasn't sure where he was headed, not at first, but seeing him change direction slightly-and the knowledge that he had just finished a drink to make that improbable throw-she made the inference that he might be moving to get another. She set up the route carefully, maneuvering her way through the crowd so as to keep herself hidden.

The timing would need to be precise, but if she was correct as to his destination it would present a narrow opportunity. Approaching out of the blue would be strange, make interaction awkward, possibly put him on guard. However, manufacture a coincidence...People let their guard down for chance meetings. It would make it easier to insinuate herself into a conversation to learn about him and ascertain the nature of this phenomena.

Quickly. She weaved through the crowd, quietly and inconspicuously as possible. Well, in truth, she didn't care if other people noticed-so long as her target did not realize. Circle back, come from the opposite direction. Slow down, count the steps, time it right. Glance head other direction, reach door handle, brush hand against his, look back with a start and feign startle. Blush, glance down with shy smile, initiate interaction.

"O-oh! I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. Um-I don't suppose I could make it up to you? Buy you a coffee, maybe?"

Jimbles

Jimbles

Journeyman

• Archive Access
  • 54 posts

"I'm not here to say no" Jesse smiled, the bubble of hex finally lowering- After all he liked this coffee shop.

He opened the door for the woman before him, gesturing for her to enter with a wink "I'll repay ya with a bit of company if you've got the time, been bored as hell all day"

If she entered the shop, the embodiment would have followed her. It was a nice little local run store, the sort that would-be writers and artists flock to as it's the only non-chain within a five mile radius. "Tell ya what, there's a little nook that I'm a huge fan of in here, big comfy seats." The would-be embodiment looked around, fixing his eyes on a seat in the corner. As luck would have it, the couple sat there were just leaving.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users