Welcome to Shattered RPG
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

{Hikaru / OPEN} School Days

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• Community Administrator
  • 786 posts
Cole Tyris liked to visit his thoughts often. There was an entirely different world in his thoughts. It was a more simple world, a world that no longer existed. He had been happy in that world. He had been happy, back on Earth, before everything went to hell. So, it was no surprise that he often visited that world in his mind, holding on to his precious memories like they were the most important things in existence.

So often did Cole find himself daydreaming of his old life, just as he was doing on this particular afternoon. Stretched out upon a stone bench in the East Courtyard, Cole's eyes were closed as memories of a human life filled his head. Riding in the backseat of a car as his mother drove him to soccer practice. Playing with other kids on the playground at recess. Watching cartoons all day on Saturdays when he should have been cleaning his room. What Cole would give to be back there again, for Earth to be the same as it had been all those years ago. For Cole to have been the same as he had been all those years ago.

A gentle breeze upon his face brought him back to the conscious reality of the East Courtyard. His stone bench sat just outside of the tall shadow that the huge tower known as the Magitorium gave off. The courtyard was a peaceful place, with the stone benches and the gardens full of pretty flowers. More importantly, at this time of the day, it was an abandoned place. All the other students would be in class at this time of the day. The only reason Cole wasn't was because he'd been given a special assignment that would temporarily take the place of his elective classes. Dread filled Cole's mind at the very thought of it, but Master Xin himself had asked Cole to take on the assignment, so it couldn't be helped.

Cole groaned in frustration. Sitting up, he rested his back against the cool, stone bench and opened the manila folder file sitting to his side. Inside the folder, the photograph of a blonde-haired beauty about his age stared up at him. Along with the photograph, there were some papers with info on the blonde-haired girl. Naki. First level student. Proficiency scores? Almost zero. Kicked out of the Summoning Guild. Could this girl even cast a basic spell? How had she passed the entrance examinations?

The boy closed the folder, closing his eyes and trying to relax himself. Naki was late. Cole hadn't met her yet, but the rumor among the First Years dormitories suggested that she was... annoying, to say the least. Max had used the expression 'dumb as a brick', and that was saying something coming from Max. It was no wonder that not even the professors wanted to deal with her. Instead, they'd passed her on to Cole for 'tutoring'. Jeez. What a drag.

Cole let out a long sigh.
"How bad could she be?" he muttered.

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

"Come on stupid, we're going to be late!"

"B-but what if he picks on me like the others?" Naki Auresque stood quivering behind the door to one of the stalls in the bathroom on the first floor. She had her back to the door as she kept her ears trained to pick up the sound of anyone else entering. She was supposed to be meeting a boy that was supposed to tutor her, from what one of her professors said. But her nervousness had gotten to her, and now she found herself hiding out in the girls restroom, dreading the entire event.

"Then obviously you deserve it." A white tom cat sat perched upon Naki's shoulder, its tail flicking quite rapidly in what seemed like annoyance. It appeared to be the one talking "Honestly, failing such a simple beginners spell! What a disgrace." The cat flicked its ear.

"It's not my fault the desk blew up," Naki twirled a strand of hair around her finger as she spoke. "That magic formula was complicated."

"It was a novice spell!" The cat jumped up. "Now get a move on already before this one gives up on you too!"

"Awww, Zeeke you do car--- OW!" Naki rubbed her face where the cat had smacked it with its claws. She now had a bright red scratch across her cheek with only a little blood from it. "Okay, okay! I'm going! Just don't scratch me again or people will stare." Naki stood up and slowly opened the bathroom stall, checking around her to make sure the coast was clear. When she found no one, she headed to the door.

"Hmph. If you were a real Sage, you could heal that up within a second."

"Stupid Zeeke!" Naki stuck her tongue out at the cat as she exited the restroom.

After the two had left the restroom, Naki had only to wander the hall for several minutes, before she had to finally stop for rest. Her hands on her knees as she bent over, panting from all the walking, Naki sighed in exasperation. "Zeeke!!! I can't find it!" Naki whined. "Where were we supposed to go again."

"The East Courtyard."

"Where?"

"Didn't you pay attention to ANYTHING that professor said?!"

"I tried!" Naki whined again. "But after a while, his voice was just so boring and he kept droning on."

If cats could facepalm, it was obvous by the sound Zeeke made, that this one would have. Lucky for Naki, it substituted facepalming for several seconds of vulgar insults instead. "Just go straight!" The cat finally growled after its string of curse words.

"Oh! Right!" Naki ran off in the direction the cat directed, completely unphased by its insults. By now, she was obviously used to it.

"Of all the summoners to get stuck with." The cat mumbled, "I have to get stuck with the stu---"

"OH WOW HE'S CUTE!" Naki stopped abruptly as she exclaimed, seeing Cole from afar.

The cat simply rolled its eyes, at the immaturity of his master. "And completely out of your league."

"How do you know?"

"I can sense his magic signature. Something you would be able to do if you paid ANY attention to your lessons on magic." The cat, Zeeke growled. "He has more power than you could ever hope. Now HURRY UP!"

"Well! Maybe he can teach me!"

"And maybe I'll get lucky and you'll die in a ba---"

"HI I'M NAKI!" Naki had ran up to where Cole was, and now held Zeeked in her hands, having yanked him roughly off her shoulder. "And this is Zeeke! He's my spirit guide familiar!" If looks could kill, the look of the cat at that moment would have.

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

Cole sighed with frustration as the clock within his mind ticked on. Ch'ranasaenk was not a difficult time keeping spell, something any first level student would have learned by now -- The Magitorium placed great emphasis on time keeping abilities -- And yet, this girl was nowhere to be seen. Fifteen minutes late. He stood up, yawning and stretching his body. Oh well. I wanted to check out that book on Minor Plane Traveling anyway.

As he started making his way towards the nearest tower entrance, he stopped in his tracks as he spotted a blonde haired teenager with blue eyes, who seemed to be clutching a... cat?... was running towards him enthusiastically. She stopped just before him and energetically presented herself, and her cat. Cole tried not to chuckle at this childish display of behavior. Though her file says she is my age, I can tell she still has an air of innocence about her.

"You're late," Cole sternly warned her. "I'm Cole Korris. Third star student. It's a pleasure to meet you."

He bowed formally, but slightly, before her, before turning around, starting in the opposite direction from which he had just been walking. He now walked away from the tower, towards the edge of the East Courtyard, which distinguished itself from the rest of the campus lawns with a beautiful, black gate, where all the shrubbery and flowers that lined the courtyard's fences seemed to meet, forming an arch over the gate itself.

"Let's go. Time to see what you're made of!" Cole shouted, not turning around to see if she was following.

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

"Eh-heh... sorry about that..." Naki had her hand behind her head as her faced turned a slight shade of pink while she apologized for being late. "Zeeke wouldn't wake up in time, he was being a very lazy kitty! And then we got lo--"

"MROW" The cat within Naki's arms let out a loud hiss as it jumped out of Naki's arms and down to the ground, its tail flicking rapidly. It was obviously mad at being wrongfully blamed.

"But anyway-- now we're here! Nice to meet you  Mister Cole--- uhhhh..." It was just then that Naki had noticed he had already started to walk away from them and now ran to catch up. "Wait up!" Zeeke followed behind, but rather slowly, his tail up in the air still flicking in an annoyed manner.

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

Cole did his best to ignore the strange girl and her feline companion. Many of the students here had animal companions, but Cole himself did not. Not anymore... Cole shoved those thoughts to the back of his brain as he pushed against the black gate at the edge of the courtyard. It slowly opened with a metallic creeeeek. The gate itself was fairly new, as was the Magitorium itself. Strangely enough, Cole had learned, the gates on the campus had been hexed so they would appear to be much older than they were. People on this campus had a strange sense of paleophilia.

Passing through the opened gate, Cole stopped himself a few feet afterwards at the ledge of a small hill that this side of the grounds were built upon. The hill stretched the length of this side of the tower. Below, some five feet down, parallel to the slope of the hill, a massive, mostly empty field presented itself. Beyond the field, the treeline to a seriously massive forest stood as a boundary between the school grounds and the outside world. Likely, a great number of spells and wards met their boundary at that treeline as well.

This was the East Practice Field, by far the largest of all the practice fields on campus. Informally, it was known by many of the students as "The Mount", even though the field was as flat as could be. The field was mostly open grass, save for the occasional set of ringed hoops or mannequins for practice purposes. This field typically would have had several students on it, some practicing, some enjoying the sunlight. Right now, in the middle of classes, it was empty.

"Well. Show me what you've got," Cole requested, turning to make eye contact with Naki.

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

"So when you say you're a third star student... " Naki questioned when she'd caught up to him. Zeeke still following behind her.  "What does that mean...? Does it mean you're really really high, or really really low? Does it mean you're powerful or does it mean you're weak? Do you get them for good things or do you get them for bad? And do you get like a real picture of a star, or is just a title?" The questioned continued with one after the other adding more and more the entire time they walked, Naki questioning everything and even going off subject.

When they'd arrived at the fields for practice and Naki was asked to demonstrate, she just stood there, her eyes blinking in a clueless expression. "But I didn't bring anything! Was I supposed to bring something?" The girl suddenly looked worried. Show? She had nothing to show!

If cats could facepalm, one would swear Zeeke did as the cat simply laid on the ground, his head down and in his paws as if in shame.

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

Cole let out an exasperated sigh as his underclassman unleashed her quizative assault. "Look, didn't they teach you any of this stuff during orientation? The basic tenants of our tower are expressed on the wall art in the Hall of Novices. Are you really a student here?"

He shook his head, addressing her points one by one. "See these?" he asked, indicating the black star markings on his blue robes. Three stars, none much bigger than a strawberry, were printed neatly near the neckline of his robes. "These are my stars. And this," he indicated the white star upon her pink robes, "Is your star. Singular. The rank of a novice, barely worthy of being called a student here. In time, you and I both may approach the rank of wizard, or even a Junior Master. But for now... We are novices."

He motioned towards the training field by outstretching his arm in a gesture. "This field is where you will practice. Every day, you must practice. It is not enough to simply cast magic. You must feel magic, and know magic, and be magic. That is how you gain more stars. That is how you advance in rank, and with it, you get access to higher and higher floors of the tower. As you know... If you were paying attention during orientation, that is... Right now, as a one star student, you are not allowed to go past the first floor of the tower unless accompanied by faculty or someone with the right paperwork."

Cole turned to look up at the tower in the distance, a slight appearance of appreciation obvious in his facial expression. "Each floor represents more knowledge. More potential. Where could we end up, Naki? What is the limit of our growth? How much is there to know in this world?"

A sly smile spread upon his face as he once more fixed his gaze on Naki. "Don't worry. You didn't need to bring anything. I see in my notes that you are taking Elementary Incantations I with Professor Zchak. Tell me what you've learned so far."

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

"Naki got in because the Summoners Guild pulled some strings and got her in. Not because she took any tests or attended any orientation." Zeeke, the cat finally spoke up, revealing that the familiar could speak. "Don't expect much." The cat had almost an annoyed expression upon its features, having one ear up and one down. It then began to lick itself. "They didn't want her either."

This didn't seem to phase Naki however as she simply yelled. "You're wrong Zeeke! They just said I could find better lessons in magic here!"

The cat simply flicked its gaze like that of a human rolling its eyes.

Naki crossed her arms in pout and then looke to Cole. "Ummm uhhhh ... He said... " What were incantations again? She had tried to pay attention in that class. But the professor had just droned on, and before she knew it she had been lost in day dream, thinking of all the things she would do when she left the class. "What does incantation mean again?"

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

"IT TALKS!!!" Cole exclaimed in awe, pointing at the feline companion in an exaggerated matter. His demeanor did not calm as he comprehended the discussion between the companion and its human.

"Wait, back up," he said, slowing Naki down, "You haven't even gone through the orientation? No wonder you're failing all your classes... Do you even know what separates Summoners from other classes like mages and sorcerers?"

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

"IT has a name!" The cat replied, sounding rather offended.

"Erm..." Naki crossed her eyes in thought at his question. Difference between summoners and mages.. What differences were there? Wasn't summoner just another name for a mage? Weren't they all just different terms for a person that used magic? Or maybe he wanted it more direct... "Uhhhh we summon things? ^_^"

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

"That... Yeah, that's pretty much it," Cole admitted, ignoring the cat. "Summoners use their magic t-"

"Ohhh Coooleee," a sing-songy voice bellowed out from behind them.

Cole turned but saw nobody at the gate to the courtyard. Whoever was calling them hadn't yet reached them, but Cole knew that voice well.

"Not again..." he muttered. And suddenly, he wrapped his hands around Naki's waste and pulled her close to him, casting an invisibility spell around them, a spell far advanced for a third star student to know.

The gates from the courtyard slowly creaked open, and a teenage girl with brown hair emerged from the courtyard. Apparently, the invisibility spell was working, because she looked to the left, then to the right, a confused look on her face.

"That's weird," she muttered to herself, "I could have sworn I saw him heading this way with that dumb first star girl."

Cole and Naki were very close together, physical contact being required for Cole's spell to apply to both of them. His left hand still wrapped around her waste, his right hand made a "shh" motion -- he hoped Sages knew what that meant. He also silently was glad he'd remembered to brush his teeth this morning.

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

Naki's eyes widened as her face went red, her head spinning with confusion. This was way too close, way too fast! Her breathing became quicker as she struggled to remain silent, while at the same time worrying what he was going to with her now. Should she scream? Maybe he was crazy, maybe he intended to do things... What should she do? Wait! Zeeke was still there!

With her right hand, Naki lightl gave a snap of her fingers, trying to signal the cat who just ignored her, purposefully. Not giving up, Naki snapped again, this time much louder.

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

"Huh... How weird," the girl muttered to herself, as she began to turn back towards the gates.

Cole started to relax. Thank goodness.

Then, the girl spotted the cat. "AWW HOW CUTE!!! A KITTY!!!"

She crouched down to try to get near the cat's level, holding out her hand gently to scratch the cat's ears.

"Aren't you just the most precious thing!!! How did you get here??" she asked it.

Cole tried not to let out a groan, but this was starting to get a little uncomfortable. He could feel the heat of Naki's body radiating onto his own.

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

The cat, Zeeke, generally did not like people. However, just to insult its master and get on her nerves, he rubbed against the girls hand, letting off loud purring sounds as he did so. "Meow."

Once Naki saw what was supposed to be her familiar not only ignoring her but giving attention to someone else, she started to not only get antsy, but wonder why they were hiding. Was it a game or was this guy actually truly crazy? Finally unable to take anymore, Naki broke away while exclaiming loudly, "Zeeke how could you?!"

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

"Aww, such a cute k-AHHHH!" the girl shouted, standing and pointing alarmingly at Naki.

The girl was fairly short, and upon seeing Naki, her usual scowl returned to her face. Her long, black hair was straight, falling both behind and in front of her shoulders as if it had a mind of its own. She smiled with her lips closed, a smile of contempt faking as a smile of genuine joy.

"Oh, it's you," she said out loud, regaining her composure. "That must mean you're here too, Cole... Too bad for you I'm quite the skilled photomancer."

She attempted to wave Cole's invisibility spell, but only managed to make his arm visible. Cole had his doubts that she was actually a skilled photomancer.

"Well, I've never actually made an entire person visible before. But I know you're there! Come on out, I have something to ask you."

Cole sighed, dropping his invisibility spell and giving a mean glare to Naki. "What do you want, Skalyrith?"

A smirk spread across the girl's face. "What were you two doing? Making out?"

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

Zeeke simply ignored Naki even more and rubbed up against the girls leg, continuously purring, acting as if he wanted to be picked up.

Naki didn't catch the glare Cole gave her as she was too focused on her cat, her face drawn into a pout. She was about to just run over and grab the familiar, until she heard the last thing said.. "Ewww no!" She immediately exclaimed, but then drew her eyes up in confusion for a moment, remembering. "At least I think... Is physical touching considered making out?" She asked the question almost too innocently.

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

Skalyrith seemed to be ignoring the two, once more focused on giving all her love and attention to the cat in front of her. Cole, on the other hand, at first pointed his finger accusedly at Skalyrith, but before he could respond, Naki did and he pointed at her instead. No, they had not been making out! However; ew?

"Hey, I'm a catch," Cole protested, "Not that I'm interested... Not that I'm NOT intere... I mean... Hey, how do you not know what making out means?"

As the boy babbled over his words, Skalyrith let out a laugh, standing back up and glaring at the two with harsh eyes. She had come here for a purpose, and was done with games.

"Cole. I need you to tutor me," she insisted. "Ditch this girl and teach me instead."

She gave Naki a look of amusement as she spoke these words.

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

"Because I don't get close to boys." Naki replied quickly to Cole, her eyes still on her cat however, watching as Zeeke wove himself around the other girls legs. "Everyone knows that all boys have the oddity until a certain age and that if you get too close you'll catch it too!" Her eyes then widened real large as she remembered just how close to Cole she had been. Had she caught it? Was she going to lose all common sense (like she ever had any) and start trying to kiss every boy or girl she now saw?

She looked to the other girl, eyes still wide. "Please don't tell anyone I caught it! They'll tease me even more now!"

Kaleb

Kaleb

Chief Technology Officer

• 786 posts

"The... oddity?" Cole asked, his eyes widening. "Naki, what do you think h-"

Skalyrith interrupted him harshly. "I'll tell the whole school, if you don't get lost right now."

Cole glared at Skalyrith with angry eyes. Ever since he'd met this girl during orientation, she had been acting so strange. At first, going out of her way to avoid talking to him, and now, she showed up and made such weird demands. Why? From what Cole had seen, she was a standout in class. Cole, on the other hand, had been doing his best to blend in. Though, the fact that he had been told to tutor Naki suggested he wasn't doing very well. What was this girl trying to achieve?

EVg3qW9.gif

Hikaru

Hikaru

Subgrounded

• Members
  • 522 posts

"Ahh! Okay okay!" Naki ran over and grabbed Zeeke off the ground rather roughly much to the cats chagrin which he let known with a loud yowl and hissing. Naki gave one glance back at the two before promptly running off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users